Friday, March 18, 2011

something to hang on

Many of your plants like tomatoes, vine beans, cucumbers, peas, etc. need something to help support them as they grow and the plant becomes bigger. Your main goals are to keep it off the ground, and to save a lot of space, and it makes taking care of the plant and harvesting from it much easier. My favorite kind of supports are trellises, I find they take up the least amount of space but also provide a very sturdy place for my plants to hang out. This is a little step by step on how I do my trellising.


First you'll want to put in something to anchor your trellis frame to the ground, the plumbing pipe will then fit right over this steel bar.

( My amazing dad does all my garden handiwork, Thanks Dad! )

Then you cut your pipe ( just a plumbing pipe you can buy at most hardware stores )
you'll need two for the sides how ever tall you'd like them to be. They ones on the the end of my boxes are 7 feet tall the smaller ones in the interior of the box are only 5ft. 


Slide your long side pieces right over your pipe that has been hammered into the ground. While at the hardware store buy some L brackets ( these should be right by the conduit piping  in the store ) like you can see in the photo. Then cut a center piece and just assemble it all together.


This is an up to date photo of the garden. My trellises are up and ready to go. In most garden sections or stores they sell trellis string it is the what looks like netting on my trellises. I just take it and zip tie it all the way around my frame. Now my tomatoes can just be weaved in and out of the string. This way they will have plenty of support and they are nice and tidy taking up little space. 


This is my favorite way to solving the "how to support my plants"  it just seems the most effective for the amount of space I have and they easiest for harvesting and taking care of the plants. We also have A LOT of wind here a stand alone trellis I feel couldn't stand up to those big gusts and I worry they would fall and damage the plants. When you have such limited garden space I feel like every plant counts I do my best to make sure they stay intact. Since the summer heat is brutal here I use the two trellises on the ends of my boxes as support for a shade cloth ( i'll post pictures later ) I put up during the worst part of the summer to help my plants from getting scorched. There are many many other options out there if you took a look, but as said above this just works best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment