Thursday, March 17, 2011

dirt you ask?


This is the one bigger investments you are going to make when you do a garden here in Las Vegas ( zone 11 ) is SOIL. The soil here if you can call it that will not support a nice fresh vegetable garden. You have to get around this by purchasing soil but think of it this way you are providing your garden with exactly what it wants and needs in order to grow healthy productive plants. I purchased a special mix from Home Depot but it was the brand for Mel Bartholomew my favorite square foot garden guru. He recommends using a combination of Peat Moss, Vermiculite, and Compost, FIVE different kinds of compost. I was lucky enough to just find his brand and go with that instead of combining all that but I really think that most potting soils can be just as good for starting your garden. I just purchased some bags of Dr. Q's Veggie and Herb potting mix down at Star Nursery for 10.99 for a 2 cu feet bag, and I was really happy with it. The big thing I also read about soil is COMPOST, COMPOST, COMPOST! It helps to feed your garden over the years I have yet to compost myself but they have a nice big compost bin down at Sams Club I have a feeling i'll be purchasing it. Just take a minute while you are purchasing your soil and read the labels just like you would in a grocery store, look for things like bat guano or worm castings. Of course you won't understand everything in there but take a look you might see more than you think and just compare it to a few others and then make your buy I doubt there is really to many bad ones. Ones that say Veggie and Herbs are usually a safe bet. Good luck dirt hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment