Wednesday, March 30, 2011

rabbit food...I think not


Growing lettuce is very rewarding to me, it grows very quickly and all you have to do when you want a little salad or need a little lettuce for something is snip a little and head back inside. Whats great about lettuce is after you snip a little for your dinner it will just produce more. It should do this reappearing act 2-3 times before you would actually need to replant. For a household like mine where i'm usually the only one eating "rabbit food" as my husband would call it I usually plant a small little square in my garden and it lasts me quite awhile. It's a nice crop for a small garden because it barely takes up any room. To plant it, I just do a small little well about 12 inches long and salad seeds are very tiny, so I just sprinkle them in my little well and cover them up. You don't have to worry about thinning these because you are going to eat them while they are still baby tender so you don't need to worry about them being too crowded.


Now when i'm talking about lettuces the varieties I loves are Arugula, Mescalin Mix, and Baby Spinach. These are not head lettuces like Iceberg that you see in the grocery store or Romaine. I tried growing those last year and to be honest they were a little slow growing and I also found they attracted a lot of bugs. I found that growing these little baby greens was so much more rewarding and I loved the ability to just snip and eat and have them just continue producing. A little bit more about the varieties, Arugula i've heard it called rocket, it has a very peppery taste and a almost spinach flat like leaf. If you've never tried it I would recommend it, it adds a nice kick to whatever you are using it for. Mescalin Mix is a variety of lots of baby lettuces it has a little bit of everything it's great. Spinach is pretty self explanatory it's a little slower growing but as leaves get edible size start snipping.


If your starting a garden give these little baby lettuces a try, they will sprout very quickly and after just a few short weeks they will be ready for your dining room table. Mine pictured here are about a month old. They are a perfect size and as you can see above i'm enjoying the fresh and healthy reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment