Tuesday, May 17, 2011

growing along

 







Been very busy doing lots of traveling and such but I got to come home to this wonderful sight ( pictured above) !
 My garden is really starting to gain some speed and i'm starting to enjoy the fruits of my labor. As you can see a lot of my plants are starting to produce. My tomatoes already have about 20-30 tomatoes on each plant they are green of course but some are ripening and turning bright and juicy red. This is one of the great things about tomatoes the ripe ones are always easy to spot among the bushy green plant. My green beans are a little harder to notice but I gave them a good looking and found that I actually had quite a few ready to be picked. Planing early is so great hear in Vegas because as the locals know this time of year gives us such a swing in weather temps. So a little wrap up on what i'm able to start harvesting, some green beans, snap peas, parsely, cilantro, a few tomatoes, bell and banana peppers. I've got zucchini and squash flowering and probably producing within the next few weeks and I haven't checked my potatoes but i'm sure i've got a few ready in there too. This does great things for my dinner table and produce bill.



This was the most surprising returning from my trip lots of sweet and fresh snap peas. I probably ate half of them as I was giving them a wash.


yummy!

if you ever have any question please just stop and leave me a comment i'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

5 comments:

  1. I live in Henderson and found your blog through a friend, Heather. I have a question, my plants in our garden are looking a bit yellow - not as dark green as they should look. What do they need? Thanks! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole thanks for visiting the blog. My question would be are the plants transplants ( meaning your purchased a plant from the nursery it wasn't started in your garden from a seed )? Also what plants are yellowing? And what is your watering situation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they are all transplants and almost all are yellowing, but mainly the tomatoes. We have the soaker hoses that water a few times a week for 3 hours plus at a time, depending on how dry the soil feels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised it's your tomatoes. Things like squash don't transplant well and it sometimes is to much of a shock for them. Tomatoes though you have to transplant because they take much to long to grow straight from seed. Since it sounds like your watering is good my only suggestion would be you've gotten some type of disease on them. Sometimes when I'm having a hard time with a plants I'll take a cutting of it down to the nursery and ask them for some advice.

    Another question would be they still growing even though they are yellowing? If there not growing at a good rate with this heat we are having you definetly have a problem and might need to replant.

    Sorry hope all that helps, it's hard to say over an email but hopefully your able to remedy your problem. Please let me know how it goes:)

    ReplyDelete