Saturday, April 30, 2011

beans

Green beans are so yummy when they are fresh from the garden. This is another one of my favorite crops probably because it's one of my favorites to eat. I never have trouble cooking these up for dinners or lunches. It's always a given to grow what you enjoy eating. No point in growing things that you don't find appetizing. Now to growing these little beauties. Bean seeds really should be soaked before you sow them into the ground. I usually soak mine overnight in little dishes with the seed packet behind them, to make sure I don't mix up which is which. There are a lot of different varieties of green beans, there's yellow ones, purple ones, green ones, ones for drying, flat ones all kinds. Another big difference is there are vining ones and bush ones. I prefer the bush ones. They really don't take up too much space and I find they just are better producers. So according to square foot gardening you can plant eight plants per one square foot. so just make 8 little holes in your designated square and drop two seeds in per hole and then cover them back up. That simple.




A little while later you will end up with these lovely little plants. You'll see them begin to flower and then start producing your wonderful green beans. Green beans are a good plant to succession plant. Meaning you will plant one crop wait a few weeks and then plant another crop. That way once your fist ones done producing you'll have others continuing to produce so you will always have a harvest. This is my first crop and I just planted the seeds for my second one, so if you sometimes see blank spaces in my garden that only because i'm leaving room for a succession crop. Happy green, yellow or purple bean growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment